Locomotive #2546

SF & DLRR 2546 - 2014The locomotive on display in E. P. Ripley Park was built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo) out of Pittsburgh, PA in January 1911 as #48642 for the Kansas City Mexico & Orient Railway.

The KCM&O numbered the class 2535 2-8-0 locomotive as #212. In 1928 the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe railroad purchased the KCM&O and the engine was re-numbered to 2546. They later donated it to the City of Marceline, and it was dedicated on December 20, 1955.

AT&SF 2546 - 1949Before Walt and Roy Disney visited Marceline in 1956 and took the photos below, the engine was painted with “Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad” as a homage to Walt’s latest accomplishment, Disneyland.